Communication, Arousal & Problematic Behaviours Workshops
This workshop is split between a theory keynote presentation and practical application for the handlers, with a lot of focus on Q&A, so that everybody can take the absolute most value from the sessions and leave with a plan to progress towards their goals.
Handlers and spectators will further develop their knowledge on understanding, overcoming and preventing problematic behaviours that our dogs perform during periods of arousal. We will focus on the communications behind the behaviours and the practical steps that we can take to help the dogs in our care.
Both handlers and spectators will work through an extremely informative and interactive workbook guided by Craig. This covers a practical acronym based, step by step guide to follow when analysing and working towards overcoming problematic behaviours. We will learn how to avoid labelling the dogs in your care by dissecting problematic behaviours into separate influencing components which will allow you to develop and implement an effective plan to work towards overcoming the behaviours.
Handlers will then begin to put the theory into practice by working with Craig to lay some solid foundations which will allow you to work with your dog towards overcoming the problematic behaviour that the dog in your care is displaying. A practical guide that will continue to help you to efficiently evaluate and work towards overcoming problematic behaviours to improve the lives of both the dogs in your care and your students alike.
- Learn how to dissect the problematic behaviours that our dogs engage in during states of arousal in to separate influencing components and develop an effective development plan to work towards overcoming them.
- Recognise the communications behind problematic behaviours.
- Overcome dog sport training and working dog training specific problematic behaviours
- Learn how to avoid over-arousal and improve learning experiences by altering antecedent arrangements and managing influencing factors.
- Implement practical and efficient calming techniques to improve the day to day lives of the dogs and owners in your care.
- Understand the importance of positive reinforcers and their role in overcoming problematic behaviours
- Become skilled in recognising the considerations to make for successful learning
- Benefit from the ability to recognise the influence that handler behaviours and emotions have on problematic behaviours and how to adjust these factors to change behaviours
- Use structured patterns to create predictability and consistency to change behaviour
- Develop the ability to implement techniques that will include positive reinforcement, operant conditioning, classical conditioning, counter conditioning, differential reinforcement of incompatible behaviours and desensitisation.
I am completely obsessed with helping and motivating dog lovers all over the world to achieve their goals with their dogs as a team. I will show you how to take a little win away from every day and develop towards reaching your goals with your dog as a team.
– Craig Ogilvie